Sunday, January 13, 2008

To the victor go the spoils...

All is right with the world tonight, for the mighty Cowpies of Dallas have fallen to my Giants, who played their Davidian role beautifully.

Hold on folks, that's Davidian as in David & Goliath, not those wackos from Waco.

Even with the majority of their secondary hobbled or out entirely, their freak of nature wideout gimpy, and their humble superstar tight end done since the end of the regular season, my Giants managed to pull out the victory. Brandon Jacobs and "new lightning" Ahmad Bradshaw stepped up their game, as did old pro Amani Toomer, and the defense played magnificently, bending but refusing to break at the most crucial times. Eli once again didn't kill them, and punter Jeff Feagles was a field position maestro the entire night. It was awesome to watch.

Of course, the Cowboys more or less killed themselves with penalty after stupid penalty, and Tony Romo-Simpson couldn't be the hero this time, as his final desperate heave into the endzone was mercifully picked off by R.W. McQuarters with just a couple of ticks left on the clock. Riveting stuff. All this despite Coach Coughlin trying his best to let the Boys back in with his ultra-conservative playcalling once the Giants got the lead. Classic NFC East football.

The game ended just in time, for if I had to hear Joe Buck talking about Dallas center Andre Garoude's shotgun snapping deficiencies one more time, I'd be on my way to big D right now to cut his heart out with a spoon. Has he ever even touched a football? I mean, Aikman at least has the knowledge and experience to make up for his complete lack of personality; listening to Buck's rantings makes me wonder just how many wedgies he had to endure as a child (or a twentysomething) to make him such a whiny little bitch.

Speaking of that, Meg's brother Brandon, whom I adore tremendously, has one serious personality flaw: He is a Dallas fan. I tell Meg's dad all the time that I consider that to be a failure on his part as a father. But not only is he a Dallas fan, he is a bit of a sore loser. After the game he basically stormed out of the house without so much as a word. The kid eats, breathes and sleeps football. I wish I had time for that. He's a great guy otherwise; he's one of those people who actually care enough about the starving children in Africa to do something about it, but I'm disappointed that I didn't get a chance to watch him stew over the turkey tetrazzini @ dinner.

As if it matters anyway. This is New England's year, remember? The other winners this weekend are just postponing the inevitable. But it'll still be fun to watch.

Triumphantly,

-Joey

No comments: